Tuesday, April 21, 2009

2009 Boston Marathon 3:15:20 / 7:27


Net Time: 3:15:20
Pace: 7:27
Rank: 3688
5K- 21:52
10K- 43:34
15K- 1:05:34
20K- 1:27:42
1/2 Split- 1:32:32
25K- 1:50:14
30K- 2:13:44
35K- 2:38:54
40K- 3:04:20








I was in for a rude awakening. Although it wasn't the best result, the marathon is really unique and stamped with a special feeling. Maybe that's why certain runners emphasize the importance of Boston. The hills, headwind, course, township crowds, hills, drunken BCers, wellesley girls, hills, korean ladies, downhills, the volunteers and hills...it was surreal.

Although I'm always biased over the fact that nothing will be more special than NYC, this marathon is the one I will remember the rest of my life. I have to admit that I was flushed with nerves upon grabbing my bib and chip at the expo (i know it was lame!). The volunteers and expo was a bit smaller and more domestic without the international hodgepodge you would normally get at Javits.

We stayed at Holliston a few minutes from Hopkington and at the athlete's village was a slew of runners with their celebration jackets on. I wondered to myself, if it is more appropriate to wear it after the race? Within a few hours of waiting, we headed to our starting corral via bib #. But damn, we lucked out on the weather after all the weather panic I've been hearing from the rest of the crowd at the expo. At the corral start, being around the rest of the talent was a bit intimidating but I zoned out with some shins tunes (to the lowest volume possible).

I felt really comfortable at the start and funny enough I noticed several familiar faces I normally run into at central park. Miles 1-6 was rolling but I felt it was more of a gradual descent than a downhill. Miles 7-13 was the same but with the endless crowd support. On mile 14-15, was probably the highlight with the wellesley girls "getting to unbrace yourself". Sometimes I wish that the line of support was a tad longer as they certainly bring in some excitement haha! After Mile 15, it was the huge downhill that I was always afraid of. I knew right after this point, will be a struggle from the gradual series of hills until mile 22. Each hill was like any other Central park hill, however it was just the placement of the hills late in the course that makes it more difficult. In addition, the gradual series of hills doesnt give much of a breather. That is when Jon passed me. He clearly told me that I was struggling with the death shuffle at that point (which was totally true!). Hence, by the time I got to mile 23, my legs were dead and heavy. However, I managed to hang on as long as possible. By the time I ran on the underpass around mile 24, I knew the end was near and the excitement poured on as I inched from finishing my first Boston. At the end, the announcer pronounced my surname incorrectly, which I thought was pretty funny but yet that's what makes it so memorable. Post mylar-grabbing, I managed to grab a cell and called my pops. He was tracking my time all along! Funny thing is he kept mentioning Kara and Ryan this and that and how he was so disappointed in their 3rd place finish. I have to admit I was a bit bummed myself as I really want an American to break through that vicious cycle of monotonous champions.

Post race bar-crawl, we grabbed a quick bite at AuBonPain, then headed for beers at minibar and hopped to Brownstone since Clerys was packed! Afterwards we continued the binging at whiskeys, more food at tapeo and finishing an amazing celtics game at another bar in copley.

So, I've finished my first Boston and every mile was memorable. The endless crowd support was unreal. In the end, I asked myself, how did moz do? I'm happy with the result. I'm sure there are things I could've done that could've achieve a different or better result. But at that moment in time, I'm satisfied at how I handled the race and never gave up. Hence with some unfinished business, Boston 2010 here I come! Till then I have a few more days of rest before another one :)










































Splits:
01: 7:18:08
02: 6:57:00
03: 6:53:05
04: 6:56:00
05: 7:04:81
06: 6:57:42
07: 6:59:66
08: 7:07:55
09: 7:04:76
10: 7:06:12
11: 7:11:67
12: 7:03:54
13: 7:06:06
14: 6:57:28
15: 7:19:89
16: 7:12:73
17: 7:32:78
18: 7:42:12
19: 7:42:25
20: 8:01:63
21: 8:31:10
22: 7:59:62
23: 8:26:01
24: 8:04:29
25: 8:05:12
26.2: 9:48:14

And the notorious crotch shot....ENJOY!



Cheers,
Moz

11 Comments:

Blogger Billy said...

Love it dude. Thanks for letting us mere mortals live vicariously through you speedsters. Splits were awesome through the first 30K or so. Sorry you lost some steam on those notorious hills near the end. Heard the headwinds got nasty too.

Too much photo/info overload right now. Will need to come back and check everything out again. Watched the race from start to finish on TV as well and it was definitely one of the most exciting marathons I've seen in some time. And the crowd support was 2nd to none.

Anyway, great job Moz - I'm sure there are plenty more Boston race reports to come (should you decide to go back)!

10:29 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

congrats! sounds like a great race to me. the party will truly be in 2010 though! :)

4:49 AM  
Blogger DawnB said...

Outstanding Job Ken congratulations!! you did great what a feeling that must be completing you first Boston. Awesome job and great race report.

4:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good job with the marathon! Did you try the clam chowdah up there?

7:33 AM  
Blogger LANYTransplant said...

You got a medal around your neck! Congrats!

8:54 AM  
Anonymous Rich said...

Congrats Ken!! You constantly amaze and inspire. I may even call you my hero. Now if only I can make it over the 2mile hump. haha Awesome job!

9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another great race is conquered ! Congrats to you on your first Beantown marathon. Sounds like the logjam of runners was like rush hour on the "Mass Pike", as they call it (insert Boston accent here).

I hope you don't beat yourself up over your time.... it was still upper echelon. Just think of the 22,000 who would love to have that nifty time as their own.

And don't forget to enjoy this accomplishment for a little while before moving on to the next mountain...

Matt G

9:39 AM  
Blogger jbetanoff21 said...

It was good to see you in Boston. It was so much fun. And, way to beat me by 32 seconds!, especially after you looked like you were struggling when I saw you! I can't believe you finished stronger than I did after I saw you! Maybe you were acting or something :)
Since I started 27 seconds ahead of you, you actually crossed the finish line 5 seconds before me and i didn't even see you! You must have stayed on the left side.

6:53 PM  
Blogger chicopea said...

You're a rockstar! Thanks for giving us the insider look I might have to try your calm music technique =P

8:24 PM  
Blogger nyflygirl said...

congrats moz!!! i was tracking you and thought your time was awesome. here's hoping that when you are back for your "revenge", i'll be there too...

also, i feel the same about the americans-it was heartbreaking that kara lost the race in the last mile!!

10:41 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Wow, great job and an amazing time. Sounds like you had a blast even in the final miles. Congrats!

6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home